Basics of a Flower Crown
Flower crowns are incredibly popular for all types of events including weddings for flower girls, for festivals and other occasions.
Traditionally, flower crowns are associated with occasions such as May Day held on 1st May to signify the halfway point between Spring Equinox and Summer Solstice. It is a celebration, people gather to make flower crowns, dance around the May pole and jump around or over the fires as a symbol of purification.
You will need the following plant materials and equipment:
- Tape (parafilm or stem tex)
- Assortment of Flowers (fresh, dried or artificial)
- Ribbon (optional)
You can find all of the ingredients on how to make a flower crown online at your wholesalers, local hobby shop or florist. Triangle Nursery wholesalers does a DIY Flower Crown Kit which is incredibly popular. Click here for more information.
Make your own:
- Measure your head using twine or wire. Make sure the material used to measure is not stretchy. Once you have measured, place the length on the table.
- Next, create the stay wire. This is the base of the flower crown. If you'd prefer to avoid this stage, you can purchase pre made bases such as a vine or wire wreath frame to use or an Alice band.
- To create the stay wire, overlap two wires slightly over one another and bind together with tape. Once you have attached the wires, cover the entire wire in tape (optional).
- Next, at one end of the stay wire bend and create a small hair pin or hook
- At the other end, bend the wire to create a loop and tape into position.
- Now you can add the flowers to the flower crown! Cut the flowers into smaller more manageable sized pieces
- Start by overlapping some foliage and flowers over the end of the stay wire and tape into position
- Add the flowers into clusters or in single varieties depending on the type and how confident you are
- Remove any lengthy stems as you progress with the flower crown with your scissors. This ensures that it is not bulky or heavy once finished.
- Continue to add the flowers in a random order or in a balanced, aesthetic fashion depending on the finish desired
- When you are finished, insert the loop hairpin into the hook. You can add ribbon to finish the design and create a more decorative feature.
- Store in a cool low lit environment
- You can mist the flower crown to provide it with hydration
- The head loses a lot of heat and thus, a flower crown will have a limited shelf life, especially if worn in Summer!
Sign up to Newsletter
Sign up to our mailing list to get updates from our experts. We promise we will not pass your details on to anyone else.