What influences your work?
Where do you get your inspiration from? Trying to come up with innovative, fresh and unique designs which have your individual flair, can be a daunting prospect!
Inspiration is all around us eg. branded packaging on cosmetics, food, clothing etc. offering alternative colour palettes that are worth exploring; some you may not have considered before.
- Starting with magazines and books for interesting articles. For example, you can take inspiration from food magazines where the use of colour, texture and shape is presented on a plate. Garden and home magazines are also a great idea for an idea of where the flowers will likely be displayed in your clients homes.
- On outdoor daily walks. Take in the landscape and be inspired by the balance and harmony in nature's beauty. Look at fascinating branches and fallen wood; the varying shades of green and the way texture and light has an impact on how we see those shades and tones.
- Connect with social media and follow industry experts, taking on board ideas that send you off on an inspirational tangent, sparking your creativity, and helping to fuel the imagination. It is important to stay in touch with the current trends.
- Television. For example, there are lots of historical dramas with a wealth of fine fabrics, tapestries and artwork from which colour, texture and patterns can be derived; Upmarket hotel documentaries where the use of magnificent blooms create a welcome and showcase varieties we may not use in our everyday design work ; Gardening programmes for the abundance of different varieties, colours and shapes. Even vegetable gardens offer a kaleidoscope of seasonal shapes, textures and colour.
- Local competitors. It is always worth keeping in mind what competitors in your area are offering to your target audience. From there, it is important to think outside the box, offering a better product at good value for money.
Always be aware of your customers' brief and budget constraints but don’t be afraid to try something different. The floral designs you create are unique to you, reflect your style and are your USP! Inspiration is all around us, so take time to explore the wealth of creativity open to you, sometimes in the most unexpected places!
Sign up to Newsletter
Sign up to our mailing list to get updates from our experts. We promise we will not pass your details on to anyone else.